Pages

Friday 3 October 2014

New Toy

Yesterday I defied the advice of people far wiser than I and bought a new toy:



It's teeny weeny, isn't it cute?

Actually, the advice turned out to be well grounded. It only does a straight backstitch so no zigzagging to avoid frays, and it only goes in one direction. Which means to start and finish you have to stitch two, turn the whole piece around and stitch back on yourself, then turn it round again to carry on. Whilst being quite an inconvenience it also gives me 4 extra opportunities to start stitching with the foot still up each time around, eek!

It's dead easy to set up though, and I've even completed my first project already! I followed this video:



Which was so simple, I think it took me less than an hour all in all to complete! Here's a few photos of my progress:




The finished thing was quite a lot smaller than I had anticipated but just about fit in my Dr Who cross stitching, so I can stitch on the go without keeping everything in a scrappy old plastic wallet.



I hope to add an embellishment or two in time, and replace the hemming tape with ribbon for the drawstrings, but it's not bad for an evening's work and the odds and ends I had in!

What else is easy to make on a sewing machine?

2 comments:

  1. Sooo cute! I'm very impressed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure I commented before, I expect that the demise of google+ ate it, just the way it did with many a comment on my blog. Nice to pop back and read this again.

    ReplyDelete